A Brief History of Centerline Masonic Lodge #550 F&AM
The history of Center Line F&AM Lodge #550 is interestingly complicated.
In 1928 Brother Irvin Keppleman and twenty four others petitioned the Grand Lodge to create what would become Centerline #550. The petition was recommended by Utica Lodge #75 (now dissolved), Royal Oak #464, and Roseville #572 and, on May 23rd 1928 our lodge was chartered.
Land was purchased in the (then) Village of Centerline. In 1929 the stock market crashed, and what followed was the decade-long Great Depression. The land was surrendered to the Village because the fledgling lodge could not afford the taxes. From its inception until the completion of its own building in 1948, #550 met at the local Oddfellows‘ Lodge (#379), at the 9 Mile and Van Dyke intersection (where Walgreen’s is now located).
In 1992, the Palmer Lodge #560 (chartered in 1930) merged with #550 and in 2003, the High Twelve Lodge #577 (chartered in 1949) also merged with our Lodge. Both lodges had previously sold their buildings and began using #550 for their regular meetings.
In March 2015, due to several factors, we sold the building that housed so many meetings, initiations, passings, and raisings, and moved to our present location at the Royal Oak temple (#464) in Madison Heights.
Many thanks to Tom Beard, PM of Center Line #550 and Dirk Hughes, PM, of the Michigan Masonic Museum and Library for the invaluable information and assistance they have provided in gathering and compiling this history.
This history is a work in progress. If anyone has any details they would like to contribute, please feel free to contact us at CenterLineMasons@gmail.com.
Organizations We Actively Support
© Centerline Lodge #550 F&AM